Steven JW Kennedy

My Blog

Archive for May, 2008

OneNote: Unfiled notes file very large

Posted by Steven Kennedy on May 12, 2008


In a previous post, I talked about suddenly running out of disk space on my C:\ drive. During that episode I was looking for large files to possibly delete and came across one, Unfiled Notes.one (it’s in the OneNote Notebooks folder). It was over 300MB in size.

In looking at the contents of the Unfiled Notes section in OneNote I decided that there were a number of ‘pages’ that I didn’t need or that I could move in to the appropriate OneNote section. Having done that I was left with 3 pages with just some text on them, nothing that would consume 300MB.

When I looked the file was still 300MB in size, so I went looking for some method of compressing the Unfiled Notes.one file. I found a reference online. Seems that Under Tools.Options.Save not only can you configure were various OneNote files and folders are saved to but you can also Optimize the files.

Not sure why the Optimize after OneNote has been inactive for 30 minutes didn’t work, perhaps I just didn’t wait long enough. However, I forced an Optimize and hey presto! The Unfiled Notes.one file is down under 1MB.

The picture below is of the Tools.Options.Save screen

image

Note! The Unfiled Notes section is a single file were unfiled pages, duh!, are held. So when you print to OneNote etc. it put’s then under Unfiled Notes, at least my instance of OneNote is configured that way.

Posted in General | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Suddenly running out of disk space on the C:\ Drive

Posted by Steven Kennedy on May 12, 2008


Last week I suddenly started to run out of disk space on my C:\ drive. I was down to a couple of hundred megs and performance started to suffer, badly.

I tried looking for some large files to delete but that was somewhat problematically as when I did a search it would turn up with no hits. I resolved this issue by connecting to the C$ share from a second PC and doing the search that way. I identified a couple of large files that I deleted, but to little avail. The disk just continued to fill up.

I then used a utility to provide a listing, and pictorial, of disk usage by folder and file type. I found that I had something like 26,000 files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp. These files started FLTxxxx.tmp. There was also a set of files ACRxxxx.tmp, but it seemed that these had a size of 0Kb.

I deleted the file in the Temp folder, and then re-booted my PC. Once it was up I started a disk defrag and went home for the night.

The next morning when I got in my disk was full again. Again the C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder had 20,000+ tmp files in it.

I went online and did some searching, whilst I was deleting the tmp files, and discovered that Adobe version 7 had some issues with the Microsoft built-in Index service. This was a bit odd as I’m running Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8. However, I had earlier in the week started the Indexer, because of the issue of searching the C:\ drive. Putting 1 and 1 together I shutdown the Indexer service, completed the deletion of the tmp files and then ran a disk defrag. Everything seems to be working.

Note! The *.tmp files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder were taking up something like 17GB of disk space!

Posted in General | Leave a Comment »