Steven JW Kennedy

My Blog

Archive for December 12th, 2010

Google Analytics connector of SharePoint 2010 – Receiving Data

Posted by Steven Kennedy on December 12, 2010

Okay, guess I didn’t have to wait 24 hours for the updates I made to  take effect. Just was on my Google Analytics page and say that the profile for my Intranet site is now ‘Receiving Data’. So I guess the changes I made, described in the previous post; worked. At least enough for Google Analytics to verify my tracking code. Now I just have to give it some traffic to track.

Posted in Google Analytics, SharePoint 2010 | Tagged: , | 1 Comment »

Changed Theme for my site

Posted by Steven Kennedy on December 12, 2010

I was using the zBench theme for this site and I quite liked it and it’s capabilities except for one thing. It’s a fixed width format. That meant that with the three columns, two for widgets, the third displaying the posts, that the post itself was pretty narrow and didn’t expand if you had a wider screen. When you add to this that I have a 24inch monitor, it means a lot of wasted screen space if browsing in full screen mode.

So I went looking for an alternative theme, ‘flexible width’, and decided on the Andreas09 theme.

Like the zBench it’s pretty clean and easy to read and has three columns. The down side is the header. I’m not able to customize the header the way I was with zBench. However, I’m willing to give up that capability for the flexibility of being able to view the site using the full screen.

Perhaps whoever created the zBench theme might think about doing an updated version that includes ‘flexible width’, that is the posting column takes advantage of window re-sizing’.

Until then I’ll try out this Andreas09 theme and see how it works.

Posted in General | Leave a Comment »

Google Analytics connector of SharePoint 2010 – Tracking Not Installed

Posted by Steven Kennedy on December 12, 2010

Okay, after leaving it for a couple of days my Tracking code was still showing up as not being installed; ‘Tracking Not Installed’ shows up for the specific profile.

So I tried copying the URL from the profile in to my browser, to validate I could get to the URL I’d used for the profile, but to my chagrin, okay annoyance, the URL didn’t work.

Seems my SharePoint MY Site doesn’t use a Fully Qualified URL, instead it was using ‘http://sharepoint/my’ instead of ‘http://sharepoint.domain.local/my’ as I’d entered for the profile.

So what I’ve done is created an Alternative Access Mapping entry, using the ‘Intranet’ zone and used the FQDN of ‘http://sharepoint.domain.local/

Now when I use the URL of ‘http://sharepoint.domain.local/my’ the url works. All I have to do now is wait 24 hours or so to see if Google Analytics can now verify that my tracking is installed.

A couple of notes;

  • Yes I checked to see that the Google Analytics code was installed on the relevant pages. You can do this by browsing to the page you want to check and then use ‘View.Source’ from the browsers menu. Look for ‘UA-‘ which is the start of your Google Analytics account code
  • Yes I tried updating Google Analytics to just use a URL of ‘http://sharepoint’ but it doesn’t like that. It requires an FQDN, and says as such in the various instructions.

Posted in Google Analytics, SharePoint 2010 | Tagged: , | 4 Comments »